Hey Dan, I like the way you do it, its pretty simple.  But here is, what
probably will be an incredibly stupid question:

How do I capture the event?  Thanks, V

I personally use an extremely simplified way of dealing with events.
I've used EventDispatcher before, but it feels like overkill most of
the time.  I realize my method has no ability to multicast events,
but it's quick, easy to read and gets the job done.

Here's an example:

___________________________
// WidgetManager.as

import mx.utils.Delegate;

class WidgetManager {
private var _widget1:Widget;
private var _widget2:Widget;

public function WidgetManager (timeline:MovieClip) {
_widget1 = new Widget(1, timeline.widget1_mc);
_widget1.clickEvent = Delegate.create(this, widgetClick); // add event

_widget2 = new Widget(2, timeline.widget2_mc);
_widget2.clickEvent = Delegate.create(this, widgetClick); // add event
}

private function widgetClick (eventObj:Object):Void {
trace("widget " + eventObj.id + " was clicked");
eventObj.target.clickEvent = null; // remove event

___________________________
// Widget.as

import mx.utils.Delegate;

class Widget {
public var clickEvent:Function; // event method
private var _id:Number;
private var _buttonMC:MovieClip;

public function Widget (id:Number, mc:MovieClip) {
_id = id;
_buttonMC = mc;
_buttonMC.onPress = Delegate.create(this, buttonPress);
}

public function buttonPress ():Void {
clickEvent({target:this, id: _id});