also the fact most people have it now is another.

I'd debate this.  It really depends on what your audience is.
Individual home users probably have newer versions, or can easily
upgrade them.  Corporate users are a different matter though.

We're using Flash for part of our product where I work and we've
collected stats on who's using what version of Flash, to try and
figure out if we can change versions we develop for.  About 1/3 of
them still have 7 installed, and that's a fairly significant number.
Most of our clients are other companies, many of which have fairly
strict IT departments which don't like to upgrade, so there's a good
chance that if we switched to 8 we could break things for a lot of
people.

I'd say that what you should really do is figure out what your
audience is and then try and figure out what version they're likely to
have, and how difficult it would be for them to upgrade if they don't
have the version you're trying to support.  That goes not just for
Flash but any other software you might depend on (Java, .Net, etc).

  -Andy