While I understand where Eric is coming from, I agree with Jason. I'm developing a vizualization tool that was initially comp'd out using quartz composer, as it wraps up core animation, openGL, quicktime and a variety of other nice osx packages. Core animation with openGL alone allows you to create intense creative animations that look extremely crisp and move with fluidity. For animation within OSX it stands alone for visualization (check out iVisualize for iTunes as an example or your OSX rss screensaver).

However, we've since opted against it, as QC's IDE isn't ready yet for full-scale enterprise development. It doesn't have an undo button and its scripting ability is limited and literally spaghetti code. In its place, we're back to considering Flash as it can do most everything we need somewhat well. However, hardware exeleration for 2D and quality 3D would be such an added benefit in our situation. Because of that, we've not even finalized our visualization tool and flash is only a contender!

Which makes me ask: if you're developing a visualization product that requires intense graphical animation with quality scripting abilities....what products are out their to do this? Flash is close but is there something that provides more quartz-like animations? Perhaps Java-OpenGL, as mentioned earlier in the thread? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

cheers,