I always thought the flash as editor is horrible.  I've always used external
tools such as PrimalScript to code my apps and now I use Flex Builder 2.  I
use the apps in conjuction with each other and I still put create items
visually in flash and have items in movieclips (defined as classes...pointed
to the class files built in Flex Builder).  It's more of a balanced
approached to coding, graphics, and animation then going all out code or all
out graphics.   (And I don't use Flex, don't believe in it.)  I love the
code hinting, instantly accessible help, and auto creation of some of the
things when you create a file or override a superclasse's methods.  It's so
nice having things similiar to whats available for other serious languages
finally, and having a full IDE for coding and another for animation and all
the other which work together.

For things like animating a website header...why would you want to animate
that programmatically?  It would only make sense to code something which was
going to be used more than once or for something that wouldn't be possible
just using normal flash.  As far as the differences of AS2 and AS3 and Flash
don't concern yourself with them.  However I think everyone serious about
Flash should be starting to learn AS3.  It's going to take over development
over the next couple of years...better to learn the new stuff then the older
stuff especially since AS3 and AS2 are not compatible within the same FLA if
they perform any cross scripting.

Of course you are going to get lots of opinions which way is the right way
to do things, and they are all going to be different.  These are mine.

Kalani