I once emailed Kevin Lynch and the guy generously replied with this:

Hi Yehia-

Thanks for your note.

Right-to-left text support in Flash Player is an important feature,
and we know it would be a key addition to the platform. Implementing
this feature to deliver the right quality is a fairly big undertaking
-- and we also need to factor in cross-platform support, maintaining
the stability of the player, and keeping the code size small.  All
requests for new features are investigated using these same standards
as we prioritize features for each release. Product Management is
aware of the need for right-to-left text support. Although we cannot
provide an exact date for when it will be supported, it is definitely
under evaluation.

thanks

Kevin

Flash supports unicode, it just isn't RTL supportive. Furthermore to this
issue, if you try to use arabic, you won't be able to get a proper text
wrap. There will be compatibility issues on different Windows versions and
between Mac, worth saying backward compatibility with older Flash players
that knows not of unicode. I seriously hope Adobe 's involvement will be
beneficial. (Wish:Adobe Flash CS3 ME)

Regards,
Yehia Shouman
Senior AS Developer and TL