> We tried the following:
> (we're embedding fonts in all cases, also we don't have
> require any input fields...we're just displaying Arabic)

If you don't mind poor antialiasing, you could try not embedding the font -
this fixes all the problems you mention, for dynamic text.

> -Copied Arabic text into a static text field...flash actually
> reverses the characters.  So we copied reversed text a static
> field.
> Then when we published, it seems that the characters were not
> being displayed correctly.  An arabic reader took a look at
> it and told us
> that the arabic characters didn't connect to each other correctly!
> It's as if you took English script characters and broke them apart!

This quite surprises me, I'd have thought static would work fine. You could
try breaking apart the text once you've pasted it in, this should stop Flash
messing about with it.

> We then tried a few more experiments...
> - copy and pasted Arabic text (normal order) into a dynamic
> field...flash flipped it.  But when you publish it for Player
> 8, the order of the text is correct, but the characters
> looked disjointed again.
>
> -We published it for Player 7 and this time everything looked
> perfect.  The order of the text was correct and the
> characters looked connected!!!
>
> We basically have all the text assets in a separate .swf
> (published for Player 7) and we're using it as a runtime
> shared library.  Our main app is published as Player 8.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Am I not doing something right
> here? I'm shocked that support for Arabic (and I'm assuming other RTL
> languages) took a step backwards from Player 7 to Player 8.
> I wonder what it is in Player 9.

Arabic is different from other RTL scripts (well, Hebrew anyway, which is
the only other one I know about) in that it's cursive. Hebrew doesn't suffer
from this complication, so all you have to worry about is bidirectionality.

All the problems you give, especially variations across Flash versions,
browsers, operating systems etc, were why we ended up going down the
'complete control' route. My system does the whole thing manually, including
BiDi, cursive variations, ligatures and line breaking. It's not easy,
although there was a certain satisfaction in it :)

Danny