-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Weldon
MacDonald
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:01 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: [Flashcoders] Backend compiled Java or scripted PHP?

I've been using ActionScript for a while now, but my next project will
require a lot more server side work. In the past I've used PHP, but
only in a pidgin kind of way. alternatively, I have some Java skills,
though not specifically for the web. Either way I have to spend some
time developing an appropriate skill level, the question becomes,
which skills.

The times I've used PHP, it seemed straight forward enough, and from
what I've read Java is a little trickier to implement on the web
(correct?). On the other hand, PHP is a pretty specific niche whereas
Java has a much wider usefulness (correct?)

There are a lot of strong opinions out there.

Andreessen: PHP succeeding where Java isn't
http://news.com.com/2100-1012-5903187.html?tag=tb

and  in response,

How they can compare PHP with Java at all? (most people who are
praising PHP are either bad programmers or they are not programmers at
all)
http://news.com.com/5208-1012_3-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=10712&messageID=78
718&start=0

PHP is faster to develop, java is faster to run, or is that runs faster?
PHP is harder to maintain, and Java has more tools ...etc...

What's a guy to beloieve? Any opin... any more opinions?