I see it as something of a Math class (my degree is in math so bear with
me). People aren't just going to be thrown into Calculus before at least
learning algebra. There is some argument that teaching calculus sooner could
be beneficial (i'm in that camp but theres a whole different set of issues
there), but at the same time its hard to imagine learning calculus without
at least having some concept of what "infinite" means. Same would go for OOP
- you couldn't learn it without first knowing what "function" means. Sure
you could teach it during the class, but why not get all of that out of the
way along with other simpler concepts in a foundations class before actually
brining OOP into the picture. Much the same way you are taught how to
compute area, and limits, before being thrown into derivatives and
integrals.

-CD