Thanks for the comments Eric... When writing code I was thinking more on the
lines of this:

current Coding:

var myelement1 = new Element
myelement1.alpha = 0;
addChild(myelement1);
var myelement2 = new Element
myelement2.alpha = 0;
addChild(myelement2);
var myelement3 = new Element
myelement3.alpha = 0;
addChild(myelement3);
var myelement4 = new Element
myelement4.alpha = 0;
addChild(myelement4);

new Idea of coding:

private function initElements() : void {
var myelement1 = new Element;
var myelement2 = new Element;
var myelement3 = new Element;
var myelement4 = new Element;
}

private function addToDisplay: void {
addChild(myelement1);
addChild(myelement2);
addChild(myelement3);
addChild(myelement4);
}

during the application controling the "view" of each elment with alpha
rather than adding them or removing them from the displaylist....

element1.alpha = 0
element2.alpha = 1

With the second idea when some one looks at the application it might be
easier for some one to read it than the first option...

On 1/18/08, eric e. dolecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i believe you can remove children from the displayList without destroying
> them... which is better than using alpha or visible because alpha and
> visibility are still on the as2 "display list" eventhough you cant see em.
>
> On Jan 18, 2008 5:39 PM, Helmut Granda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knows how much memory any object that is added
> > the display list take... for example I have 4 main elements that I need
> > during the time the application is running, this 4 main elements contain
> > many children so at the time I am adding and deleting items to the
> display
> > list as needed (addChild). but to make my application more readable I
> was
> > wondering if I could just have a function that instantiate all the
> objects
> > and a second method that adds all the elements i need to the display
> list
> > and then control  the elements with the alpha or visible property.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > ...helmut

...helmut