Hi John,
   Where are you loading the SWF from?

   I think I had this problem early on with AIR, and it turned out I
was loading from the wrong place. If you load the .swf files from
within the AIR app's installed folder, then they are given full rights
and you will be able to cast them etc. If you load them from anywhere
else, they are placed into a different security sandbox and you won't
be able to cast them.

  This page should help:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/security_6.html
(see under URL schemes)