All well and good, but the government wants business reasons and not
technical abilities.

As someone else noted, point out the security upgrades as a starting point.
Then include tangible reasons such as better performance of course ware.
More robust user experience because of better video support of e-learning
materials. In other words you have to spin the enhances to fit the clients
needs.

But having worked into the government sector for a while, your project is
not likely to grease the wheels alone or even in a timely manner for your
project. But it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Charles P.