Thanks Guys for the Replies...

OK I agree with all this, but do you believe I hadn't thought about using an
online server and save the headache? As I said before, it is an option that
will let the users of an AIR POS application (that also stores and read data
in a database shared on the network and it works for 6 months now like a
charm) communicate to each other. The real challenge here is the ability to
do this offline. I don't want an Internet connection to do this.

Plus I don't see the security a big issue in this case. I don't need
security. I clean the tables every 24 hours (and compact). There are no
plenty of users. I don't think there will be more than 5 computers running
it at the same time. I've been thinking about using a PC running Apache and
MYSQL locally and let all the computers connect to it (not sure if this is
gonna work) but come on, SQLite is amazing in my opinion. I've been testing
it since AIR was released and It IS reliable. Of course It is dangerous when
accessed by many clients but, as long as the client amount is resoanable,
and the code is well written, nothing is impossible.

Cheers.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Anthony Pace <anthony.p...@utoronto.ca>wrote:

> Exactly.
>

> Nate Beck wrote:
>
>> Dave, I was thinking the same thing.
>> After reading through this thread again, I realized that this client to
>> client thing can be handled using a simple server.  And there are already
>> many open-source solutions out there that will accomplish this behavior.
>>  Red5, WebORB and BlazeDS all support concurrent connections and passing
>> data from client to client.
>>
>> If you're already depending on the network for SQLite access, why not just
>> host some server solution on said network?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nate
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Dave Watts <dwa...@figleaf.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I apologize if I've missed something that anyone has posted in this
>>> thread.

>>> course

>>> it

>>> I don't think security is the main problem here, but rather the lack
>>> of concurrency control. SQLite is meant to be a single-user database,
>>> and has no multi-user concurrent capability.
>>>
>>> Since AIR can talk to remote web services, why not just set up an
>>> application server somewhere and let your AIR apps talk to that? Let
>>> your app server (and/or its backend database) handle concurrency
>>> control for you.
>>>
>>> Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
>>> http://www.figleaf.com/
>>>
>>> Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
>>> instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
>>> Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
>>> Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more information!

Omar M. Fouad - ActionScript Developer
www.omar-fouad.net
Cellular: (+20) 1011.88.534