Regarding being able to test in older versions of IE (since you can't run
parallel versions).
I used this program for a little while:
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
I think they actually use the real rendering engine via OLE but it has its
flaws as well.
It's been a year or so since I've done that kind of work and thus since I've
used the product but give it a shot.

Looks like they included IE8 beta 2..

-jonathan

P.S. My gmail client is broken in IE8 beta as I type this, so if it's bad
enough for Google, it's bad enough for your client! (Oh, wait, Gmail claims
it's still in beta itself)

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Vayu Robins <v...@vayu.dk> wrote:

> Thanks for all the good feedback on this! :-)
>

> On 2/3/09 8:25 PM, "John Dowdell" <jdowd...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > Vayu Robins wrote, when finding that an existing HTML site was reported
> > to not render correctly in this week's IE8 release candidate:
> >> Does anybody have any comments on this? Should I download the IE8
> version
> >> and find the problem?  I am on a mac, using Parallels Desktop, Windows
> XP.
> >
> > I've heard other reports of newer HTML clients not supporting existing
> > websites, but I haven't tracked the pre-release details. Best resource I
> > know of for user-experience changes is the IE team's own weblog:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/
> >
> > That said, it may be a client/developer contractual agreement about
> > which browsers to test against. If they specified IE6 and IE7 for the
> > Microsoft-branded browsers, then it doesn't seem quite fair to suddenly
> > add another version (particularly a pre-release) to that matrix. But if
> > the required clientside runtimes were not specified in the original
> > contract, then that could make things stickier... it sounds like they
> > accepted the project, then wanted to make changes after the project was
> > "finished". Tricky problem!  :(
> >
> > jd

-jonathan howe