http://library.forum.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/Flash_Lite_Developers_Library/GUID-8EFDF519-AB3B-4FAC-804B-8FDFD08F9968.html
Most of it should apply

Some basic keys are:

   * reduce the use of filters
   * reduce the detail of your bitmaps
   * try not to rotate objects with filters on them
   * reduce the amount of objects you have on the stage being animated
     at once
   * reduce the use of alpha effects
   * reuse objects where possible instead of making new one, as each
     object needs to be stored in memory

Taka Kojima wrote:
Alright, well my two cents is that the problem isn't what you think it
is, and here's why:

I build a lot of sites and the reason it's chugging is not anything to
do with streaming... if you truly do have a preloader, and it does
load in 100% before playing, it's not a streaming issue. It seems to
be a CPU issue.

If the computers with slower connections you are testing on are older
computers (which for some reason is usually the case) then it may seem
like it's the connection speed, where in fact it is the CPU chugging.

The idea that animating on the timeline is x amount slower than doing
it through code is a myth that's not true. It is true that you can
optimize some thing through code, but unless you're doing some crazy
animation stuff then that's likely not the issue either.

The proper solution: bring down the cpu usage, which isn't an exact
science you'll just have to futz around with things and use common
sense, such as using blank keyframes when things are off the stage,
making sure you aren't animating a lot of vectors (and if you are use
bitmap caching), etc.

- Taka