Also = try to redraw as little of the screen as possible from frame to frame.

If your entire screen is constantly redrawing, that takes a lot of
processing power.

So alpha fades that affect the entire screen or moving/animating a
sprite which covers the entire screen are problems.

The Flash Debug Player has a right-click context menu option called
something like "Show Redraw Areas" (I forget).

HTH,
  Ian

P.S. There's a bug in FP9+ - possibly still in 10, I can't remember.
Calling setChildIndex() forces the entire display to be redrawn.