Thanks for replying, Cor.  Yes, when the xml is loaded, the Event.COMPLETE
function gets fired.  That part isn't the problem because I'm already doing
other things with the XML.  It's just this bit that I can't get an XMLList for.

What really happens is Sprites within a ScrollPane component get a
MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP event, and these sprites contain a TextField that has a
string.
Here's the real function below.  The string gets passed no problem.  I just
can't get an XMLList built.

Thanks!
- Michael M.

private function onClick(m:MouseEvent):void{
        // no problem here
        var thisLabel:String = TextField(m.target["getChildAt"](1)).text;
        // should I build an XMLList containing everything first?
        // no problem here either
        trace(FloorplanData..floor);
        // traces nothing
        trace(FloorplanData..*.((hasOwnProperty("name")) &&
(attribute("name")==thisLabel)));