I'd suggest you first get down in audio math and algorithms and indeed FFT.
If you're done with that... choose whatever language you like and preferably a faster one then AS3.
But it is not impossible to answer your question.

johnny lee wrote:
Hi All, how do you compare two audio files with actionscript? I heard
something about Fast Fourier Transform, but don't understand how it
works. What I'm trying to do is a basic voice recognition programme,
similar to the one on symbian mobile phones where you can give word
commands to your phone. Can this be done in actionscript?

Thanks and cheers, juju