Never having developed for the iphone, I didn't realize the limitations that developers have been dealing with; therefore, I was unaware that even to get programs to communicate with each other takes the use of several hacks, as apple has a lot of features locked down.

So if you won't get access to inject inline assembly, then why doesn't Adobe just modify the way their apps are cross compiled to allow inline objective-c? Apple can still maintain its strangle hold but we get better performance because of the ability to have native access.

Kerry Thompson wrote:
Anthony Pace wrote:

I am referring to the iphone.

Since it's supposed to be a native app, then why not allow it?  Once the
user installs the program, it can do whatever it wants anyways.  A
normal app can do all kinds of file manipulation and tracking without
it, so why not just allow lower level access?

Good question, Anthony. I hope my answer makes as much sense as the
question.

The difference is that all the object code is produced by the compiler. We
hope the compiler won't produce malware.

If we were to give lower-level access to machine code written by a human,
you're opening the system to a malware attack.

I know, there are ways around this. If you know the machine well enough, and
can read and understand the machine code, you could manually insert malware.
That takes a pretty sophisticated programmer, and one bent on mischief, but
it could be done, at least in theory.

Hope that makes sense.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson