Glen Pike wrote:

>     But you can easily create your own button type class rather than use
> the Flash symbols...

In fact, you can do your buttons, or movie clips, and the like in Flash.
Publish the .swf, and you can download it using Flex and use all the
assets in it.

Flex's real strong point is that it is a superior coder's
environment--better debugger, faster editor. It is not a good environment
for artists and designers, by and large.

Your hard-core coders use Flex, the animators and designers use Flash, and
everybody is happy.

I should be more specific. Flex is the free Eclipse-based base. Flex
Builder, which I use, is the coding environment. I use it only for AS3--I
literally have never used the GUI to do MXML.

There are other development environments for Flex, such as FlashBuilder,
which is free. It's really nice, though it doesn't have a debugger. Still,
you can use Flex entirely for free if you wish.

All Flex is, in the end, is another way of making .swf files. You don't
have to do the entire site in Flex--you can use it just like Flash. In
fact, I recommend that you do discrete elements in Flex, and build the
site using these elements. That way, when AS4 comes out, you have your AS3
code isolated, and can keep developing new pages without having to
re-engineer the AS3 pages.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson