>> It seems IE8 treats it as a web resource instead of a file share.
Could that be part of the issue rather than a security/sandbox setting?

Sure could be - seems to me it's a difference between the browsers, not
Flash.

I bet you're right, Jason.  What's odd is that when I put the full file share
path as a parameter for the flvplayback, it works in both IE6 and IE8.  But,
that makes the file NOT portable if it's going to be accessed over http
instead.  I got it working in both versions of the browser, but it now seems
only to be functional in a network environment.  You can't win 'em all I
suppose.

Thanks for replying, and happy holidays to you.  You deserve a blue ribbon for
all the posts you answer!

- MM