> Don't let the programmers on the list intimidate you into learning a bunch of
> framework mumbo-jumbo. If you learned Flash/Flex
> after earning a Computer Science degree, it makes sense because they *start*
> with OOP day one in school. But for creative
> Flash peeps, frameworks are a Brazilian black hole best left to *cough*
> experts.

No one needs to learn "framework mumbo-jumbo", but if that's how you
see frameworks, you're missing the point. The point of using a
framework is to be able to spend less time thinking about how you
organize things. Frameworks are for lazy people like me. I'd rather be
watching TV than organizing my code.

Now, one of the things I like about Flex is that it inclines people to
follow an MVC pattern without really needing a formal framework, but I
don't get the same impression about "pure" Flash apps - I could, of
course, be completely wrong about that.

> The basics of MVC are:
>
> Model - this means "data". It's the stuff you want to show (list of stuff,
> etc)
>
> View - these are your graphic layouts. Best way to grok what this is for:
> think my laptop view, my iPhone view, etc.

Typically, people often mean a bit more than this for views. Within a
single desktop app, you might have many different views, for example.
I'm not saying you're wrong, just expanding on what you wrote a bit.

> Controller - this is the meat of your app. It figures out what data you have
> and which view to show it in.
>
> So yeah, MVC is very helpful, especially in the multi-screen age. As for
> Cairngorm, PureMVC, etc - leave them alone.
> Completely. You'll know when it's time to use them:
>
> 1) when you *have* to work with a team that uses them
> 2) you're advanced enough as a developer that you seek out new ways to
> program instead of being creative... *snark*

3) when your projects get large enough that you can't easily
distinguish between all of the different types of things you've
created.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.