> > No one needs to learn "framework mumbo-jumbo", but if that's how you
> > see frameworks, you're missing the point. The point of using a
> > framework is to be able to spend less time thinking about how you
> > organize things. Frameworks are for lazy people like me. I'd rather be
> > watching TV than organizing my code.
>
> There is a backside to that. When giving up control, you are giving up
> control. There also is the issue of getting two different frameworks to not
> try and kill each other. And it's still your responsibility how things are
> done, if the framework has a bug, your program has a bug.
>
> But the benefits are indeed there. But there is clearly more to it than just
> benefits.

Yes, there are definitely costs. You have to learn the framework, it
has to be flexible enough to not constrain the tasks you're trying to
accomplish. Frameworks should generally only constrain arbitrary
choices, not functional choices. But you shouldn't have to get two
different frameworks to not kill each other, because within a single
project, there should be only one (just like Highlander).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.