Flex is for RIA's and helps you with layouts and common controls and doesn't
really provide anything useful for generating art with either vectors or
drawing to a sprite. With the framework itself bulking up the size of your
swf and consuming additional resources, it's not really a good thing.

The generative art I typically use straight ActionScript with a library of
choice -- Hype (http://www.hypeframework.org/) being particularly awesome
for that kinda thing.

There's nothing stopping you from using Flex / Flash Builder as your editor
though. Just create an "ActionScript" or "Flash Professional" project.

If you're just looking for ActionScript generative art, I'm fairly partial
to http://levitated.net/