Seeing as you have specific abbreviations, I don't understand why Regular
Expressions are entering into this.

You should have the abbreviations and their actual words stored in a
database (maybe an XML doc somewhere), then just compare each one, one a
word to abbreviation basis.

Regular Expressions are not going to work in this scenario unless there are
very specific rules that all possible use cases can conform to.