Random thoughts that may spark some ideas for some here:

Something that I've begun looking at recently has been web apps. Using a
line of code you can have a web page function like an app, opening from a
bookmark on the home screen of an iOS device without the Safari interface.

It seems like if a web app is properly built you could practically have an
app running without the need to go through the iTunes store.

I've juuuust begun looking into it so I have no deep knowledge to offer yet,
but poke around the metatag "apple-mobile-web-app-capable" in Google.

Have also seen some developers practically build a website with HTML5 and
CSS3 then wrap it all up in an app shell at the end.

Brian Mays