From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Newman
Sent: 12 October 2010 17:07
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Flash CS5 iPhone development question

I've had a similar experience. What I've done is to divide my game
(Event.ENTER_FRAME) and my render logic - stage element access
(Event.RENDER) loops, and on 3G update only every other frame.

You can do that by filtering on Capabilities.os, and then based on which
model you detect, set a toggle to run at the end of ENTER_FRAME handler,
that will invalidate the screen (I think it's root.invalidate()) either
every frame for high end devices, or every other frame for iPhone 3G,
iPod 2nd gen, and lower.

// set useFrameSkip in init based on Capabilities.os
if (useFrameSkip && !skipFrame) {
     skipFrame = true;
     root.invalidate();
}
else {
     skipFrame = false;
}

Also, make sure you are setting those cacheAsBitmap and
cacheAsBitmapMatrix flags when appropriate, or else you aren't properly
utilizing the GPU.

Seems to help. :-)

Kevin N.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/sys
tem/Capabilities.html?filter_flex=4.1&filter_flashplayer=10.1&filter_air=2#o