On 21/05/2013 05:04, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
Thank you Ktu.
That is what I was looking for.
I'd say the problem with asking questions like this is that you're getting answers to questions you shouldn't be asking at this stage of your AS3 experience. While you may get a "technical" answer, you miss out completely on the real question - in what circumstances would using a private class be of benefit (and why), and when should you not use a private class?

A book will teach you more than the technicalities.

To put this into context, about the only time I have ever used private classes is to enforce the creation of singleton classes. They are hardly an essential and I have written a ton of AS3 code over the years.

You also need to get a good grasp of design patterns - particularly MVC.

You can't get an overall view of best practice by asking these very particular questions when you don't have a bigger context to understand where a language feature fits well and where it doesn't.

The Moock book is popular and very detailed. I have it. Personally I think it's a bit heavy for a beginner to AS3 and I'd recommend (again) "learning actionscript 3" as a gentler start before tackling the Moock book.

This list can give you specific answers, but you really need the bigger picture.

Paul

Much thanks,

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers