Ok, so after all this discussion (thank you by the way) I came to the
realization that what I needed to do is be running my Flex swf as trusted.
So I moved it and all my in-house created support swf to the app directory
so they are installed with the app. So far so good, as I already had support
for loading my resources from a different path by setting a var in the embed
code.

Now I have a new issue in that when you hit Esc in my Flex swf I call both a
ExternalInterface call and an fscommand to let the container know about it.
I had it working where my hosting html page was getting these calls, but now
it doesn't seem to be. I would have expected it the other way around where
as non-trusted the calls would get lost and as trusted they would work. Any
ideas?