----- Original Message -----
From: "piotrchruscielewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:31 AM
Subject: [flexcoders] What is the best hardware configuration (on PC) for
building Flex

> Hi
>
> I`ve got some maybe not exactly programming subject, but also related
> with FLEX.
>
> I`m building apps on my notebook with some Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. I
> want to buy some good desktop comp to improve performance etc.
>
> Do you have some observations, experience - how can we make the best
> environment for Flex programming ?
> I`m talking about a situation, when we need to start Oracle database,
> LCDS server , and huge Flex Builder running tomcat, some firefox for
> testing, second one for some resources etc etc
>
> I hate it when I`m waiting 10 seconds for compilation, or when i open
> a file - eclipse hangs for few seconds. When I compile each few
> minutes - it looks that almost one hour each day i spend waiting for
> compilation etc.

Piotr, according to my calculations, on a ten hour working day, without
breaks that would be a compilation every two minutes or so. I think that
even with zero seconds compilation time I wouldn't manage that. I've always
been taught that the time between compilations is more important than
compilation time, so a "thinking/debugging/edit/compile" cycle that fits
into two minutes, concerns me.

I used to work on systems with a 45 minutes build time between debugging
runs, so we would have been in heaven with ten seconds!

My small point is that focussing on losing ten seconds per compile may not
be the place where you can make the most gains. Of course I might be wrong.

Paul

snip