Yes, that's what I meant.

And it looks like it's even more specific. If I put the skin on the
bottom-level class (the one that subclasses ADG) or the actual
instance of the grid, it works fine. There's only a problem when the
skin is in the middle class.

Here's a minimal piece of code which demonstrates the problem:

==== StandardTreeGrid.mxml  (in myCode namespace) ====

<!-- This class overrides various properties of ADG -->
<!-- Putting the skin here fixes the problem -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:AdvancedDataGrid xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
verticalGridLines="false">
</mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

==== StandardTreeGrid2.mxml  (in myCode namespace) ====

<!-- Override headerSeparatorSkin. Only here does the skin cancel out
the properties of StandardTreeGrid -->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<myCode:StandardTreeGrid xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
headerSeparatorSkin="CustomHeaderSeparator">
</myCode:StandardTreeGrid>

==== main.mxml ====

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
xmlns:ics="myCode.*">

<!-- putting the skin here fixes the problem -->
<ics:StandardTreeGrid2>
<ics:columns>
<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn/>
<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn/>
</ics:columns>
</ics:StandardTreeGrid2>

==== CustomHeaderSeparator.as ====

package
{
import mx.skins.ProgrammaticSkin;

public class CustomHeaderSeparator extends ProgrammaticSkin
{
public function CustomHeaderSeparator() {super();}
override public function get measuredWidth():Number {return 2;}
override public function get measuredHeight():Number {return 10;}

override protected function updateDisplayList(w:Number, h:Number):void
{return;}

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Pan Troglodytes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I might have to see some code before I can figure it out.  But out
of
> curiosity, when you say you "override" headerSeparatorSkin, do you
mean you
> just do something like:
>
> <mx:StandardTreeGrid
headerSeparatorSkin="MyHeaderSeparatorSkinClass">

> or are you talking about doing something in the actual actionscript
code?

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM, whatabrain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   While trying to answer your question, I found out what was
causing the
> > problem, but I'm still not sure why.
> >
> > I have a class called StandardTreeGrid, which subclasses ADG.
It's in
> > StandardTreeGrid that I override things like verticalGridLines.
Now if
> > I override headerSeparatorSkin in StandardTreeGrid, everything
works
> > fine. But if I subclass StandardTreeGrid and override
> > headerSeparatorSkin there, I lose a bunch of ADG attributes.
> >
> > Any idea how I can fix this?
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Pan
> > Troglodytes" <chimpathetic@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you override just the headerSeparatorSkin, or go farther?

> > like
Is