in Services.mxml no I'm not..
just
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<cairngorm:ServiceLocator xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
xmlns:cairngorm="com.adobe.cairngorm.business.*">
<mx:RemoteObject id="MainService" destination="ColdFusion"
showBusyCursor="true"
source="myApp.remote.mainFacade">
</mx:RemoteObject>
<mx:RemoteObject id="AdminService" destination="ColdFusion"
showBusyCursor="true"
source="myApp.remote.adminFacade">
</mx:RemoteObject>
</cairngorm:ServiceLocator>

as far as I can tell it looks okay I'm even looking at another .mxml
file in the same directory that is doing the exact same thing and it
works there.. I just dont know what I'm doing wrong here.. the
datagrid populates fine and I can even do
Alert.show(event.target.selectedItem.headline); and bam.. headline alerts.
but if I do currVO = event.target.selectedItem;

and put a debug stopper afterwards this.currVO is null