Thanks,
Well, I tried extending AdvancedDataGridItemRenderer & IDropInListItemRenderer

and my set data I'm overriding:
override public function set data(value:Object):void {

   super.data = value;
  if (this.listData)
  {
  //  get the owner AdvnacedDataGrid
  var listOwner:AdvancedDataGrid = AdvancedDataGrid(this.listData.owner);

        if (listData!=null && data != null)
        {
           this.background = true;
           this.backgroundColor = 0xFFB6B6;

As you can see for the example its just should paint the rows.

But still the data is flat I cannot see child1 as the parent :(((

can you give me simple example how should set data() should look like to allow
me manipulation on the data but still preserve the hierarchy?

I tried many things but nothing

Thanks