From: brad.bueche <b...@bueche.com>
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Dynamic creation of ComboBox in ActionScript
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:24:31 -0000

Big Picture: I'm trying to recreate the dynamic search interface in
search coders app. I think it will be a great base for an sql front end.

I can create combo-box's dynamically via the button. However, I want as
much configuration as possible to come from a database (so I can change
my app without going through all the red-tape of change control).
Sooo... I need to create the ComboBox when the the button is pressed but
THEN (here is the question): I need it to execute a function,
conn.getData(), in order to have the ComboBox populated. In mxml, I
would use creationComplete. However, actionscript does not seem to have
this method for ComboBox. What do I use?

I've searched the methods for ComboBox but nothing is jumping out at
me....except maybe initialized. Are the 3 phases of layout done before
the call to a dataprovider (if I want the data at creationcomplete)?

(Yes, I'm working through my flex authority issues too).

And, while I'm at it, what would be the best method -- via
actionscript-- for completely removing the ComboBox (and putting it out
for garbage collection) if the minus button is pressed?