Thanks for the link.  I have been through most of them - quite a few are
duplicates of links on other aggregated lists - and spent a considerable amount
of time on the Adobe web site prior to posting here.  The trouble is that none
of these examples actually cover the single thing that I don't understand
adequately, namely the relationship between a "traditional" Flex swf app
running in the browser and an AIR app with an identical user interface running
on the desktop.

Most of the samples I have downloaded and picked apart so far are either
examples of how you can create pure desktop apps with AIR, with varying degrees
of sophistication, or tutorials for JS/HTML programmers to tempt them into the
AIR runtime so their apps can have access to the user's file system.

What I need is an example of an app where the user starts in the web and is
provided the option of going offline, at which point an AIR app is installed
for them and they can continue to work in an identical environment without
being connected.  Following that I'd like to see a practical example of how
data synchronisation is managed when they re-connect to the web.

This would seem to be an obvious lifecycle and at the heart of AIR's unique
proposition, but I am not really seeing how it fits together.  As I said at the
beginning I must be missing something simple, basic and obvious and I was
hoping I could get a pointer from AIR tutorials.  No luck so far... any ideas?