It might be a good opportunity to loosely couple things and apply a more
Service Oriented Architecture approach.  Using SOA principles, changing out the
business logic layer ie BlazeDS or LiveCycle wouldn't require a massive rewrite
of the data or client layer.  Just in how the data and presentation layers
interact with whatever you implement in the business layer.

Sort of like the whole MVC architecture applied enterprise wide.  Not the
easiest thing in the world to do, but it does come him handy and helps prevent
massive re-design in all 3 enterprise application entities.

Obviously that sounds nice on paper and doesn't change things after the fact,
but it might be a good approach going forward.