Hmmm...  That's an idea...  data.course_fees is coming out of the database as
an Array -- perhaps I should rewrite that so it comes out as an ArrayCollection
from the very beginning...  I'll give that a shot...  (Yes, I know I can put an
Array into an ArrayCollection, but if Array isn't behaving properly, I
shouldn't use it at all, right?)

If I were to do something like:
listOfFees:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection(data.course_fees);
would that pass a reference to the ArrayCollection, or will that be making a
copy?