Yeah I thought about that too, it's kind of weird because there's this
just-released talk from MAX on adobe.tv about the Spoon project and how
much mutual trust was required and how it took a year of hard work to get
where they are, where Adobe will trust them to contribute patches and
stuff; now all those people must feel a bit stupid for doing all that work
to convince Adobe, since someone just decided to hand over the entire
responsibility for the code anyway. But maybe it will work out because now
the Spoon project has an organised structure ready to go, which is handy.

Reading into these things, it seems that some higher-level people made
business decisions which by necessity happen suddenly, and everyone else in
the company found out just as suddenly as us. The article you mention
probably genuinely was the plan at the time it was written.
There is quite a strong feeling that HTML5 simply can't replace Flex yet;
and as for future it is pure conjecture, no-one knows. Who knows, maybe the
community will do a better job with the Flex codebase than Adobe themselves
did? If you watch the Spoon talk you read about the incredible problems
faced by contributors who contributed patches but no-one at Adobe ever
reviewed them or contributed them - now this might all change for the
better. Let's see what happens...

Here's the link by the way:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-develop/open-source-flex-what-the-spoon-project-means-to-you/

Oh - I just noticed a notice on the Spoon site about it:
http://www.spoon.as/2011/adobe-announces-intention-to-donate-flex-sdk/. So
apparently they are excited - fair enough they wanted to be able to
actually commit their changes and now they will be able to.

I would encourage everyone to stay calm and see how things develop over the
next six months. By then we'll start to see whether the Apache project
takes off. I think there's a distinct possibility that Adobe will try and
translate Flash Builder into "Flash or HTML5 Builder" (with a classier name
of course) - after all you've got a lot of Flex-skilled people that would
immediately buy it.

John