Yes you bring up an important point - namely there are public websites and
services that also do cool things, that need to focus on standards
compliance and SEO and everything. These over time will become a best fit
for HTML5 if they aren't already. Flex isn't great for SEO.

Then there are applications, that are simply programs which happen to use
the browser as a delivery mechanism, where generally the entity writing the
application also controls the browser or computer being used to use the
application. Sometimes they are called "enterprise applications" but I
don't think this categorisation is true in all cases. They are really a
different kettle of fish and more often a good fit to Flex.
John