Flex is an awesome product.Period. Atleast until version 3.
Then they bloated it. The new spark component makes it easy to do the
skinning but it costs a big deal in download time.

I am not sure there is anything flex specific in the Flash Player Runtime.
Flex is totally written with AS3 and the flash player runs AS3.

The path I would suggest the Apache Flex guys to go is towards creating a
Flex to JS/HTML5 Cross compiler. This would be something that would help
them quite a lot. Write code with AS3 and output to JS.

There are quite a lot of Flex apps out there ( especially in the corprate
world ). Given that adobe has given up on Flex ( which means they wont have
any premium support ) these guys will be looking for a solution that can
work as good as their current applications. Ofcourse, the big players (
especially in the financial industry ) are going to be slow to move. They
wont change something just because Adobe wont support it quite in the
future. They would be looking to change. This is the point where the Apache
Flex community needs to catch up on. Flex is currently the biggest load on
a ship called Flash Player Runtime.

There is a significantly large hole in this ship. That would not have been
the case, if Adobe had not shot itself in the foot, but that is a different
topic altogether. Now, if one of the biggest load happens to unload quite
fast onto another boat the rest of the smaller entities on the ship can
jump on. If not, the other smaller entities wont die. They will just become
a fish :) . Everything evolves, the question is how do you want to evolve!

--
Regards,
Ganaraj P R