Dave H wrote:
> Can anyone point me to any useful resources on manipulating SVG from
> within Flex?  I'd like to be able to highlight different parts of an
> image at the click of a button.

This is interesting. I was hoping someone else had a better answer than
what I've currently got, but didn't want to leave it unanswered too.

Let me make sure I'm correctly understanding what you'd like to do... it
seems like there's some external mapping source which can give you a
series of irregular polygons, with stroke/fill colors, in SVG format.
You'd like these to display in the final SWF delivered to the audience,
and would like to be able to programmatically change stroke/fill colors

If so, then I see two other possible paths, in addition to the
"<mx:Image/>" path you mentioned, but I'm not sure which of these are
viable paths, and hope that other people can expand on these.

1)  Use a standalone SVG->SWF serverside utility to turn the mapping
service's output into something very easily usable by the Macromedia
Flash Player clientside renderer.
     (Some exist, but it would take some research to learn how closely
current candidates match this project's needs.)

2)  Have the Flex server request and translate the SVG data into the
final SWF, where each polygon is still individually addressable.
     (Other people on this list know more than me here.)

3)  Have the Macromedia Flash Player request the raw SVG data, and use
procedural drawing to render and then manipulate the polygons.
     (ActionScript and the Drawing API have been used to render basic
SVG files before... a search term "wahlers triolo svg" pulls up citations.)

Are any of the above paths of interest...?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM