What I want to know is how do you say it? Is there history behind the name?

Judah

Steven Webster wrote:
Oh man, I write a 6 page article series and still people go on and on
and on about ViewLocators :)  We innovated the ModelLocator pattern in
Cairngorm, and have done our best to communicate the practices around
using the ModelLocator, over ViewLocator (a relic from our Flash RIA
days).

Cairngorm and ARP are both implementations of the same design patterns;
so the approach in terms of breaking down your application's technical
architecture over a microarchitecture will be very similar.  You'll
start thinking in terms of all the same concepts, you'll approach your
application development the same way.  The frameworks are more similar
than different, imho.

We took a very strategic decision with Cairngorm, only to support the
Flex framework; the framework started life in the Flash world, but we
believed that Flex would become the defacto technology for building RIAs
of any complexity that merits a microarchitecture, and so have made
conscious decision not to support back to Flash or any other Flash
platform technologies.  In that way, we can focus on leveraging the Flex
framework without concering ourselves deeply with how this translates to
the non-Flex world.  We do have developers using Cairngorm on Flash
projects - but that's not the expected use-case.

There's a 6-page article series on Cairngorm on Macromedia Devnet,
starting here:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/articles/cairngorm_pt1.html

We'll continue to make these articles available to you through devnet,
and through blogs, to enable you to be successful in building more
complex RIAs upon this architecture, and to guide you in how we think
the architecture fits with new features of the Flex framework, be that
States, Internationalisation, Flex Data Services, etc.

If you follow that article series, you'll be ready in a few hours to
start building RIAs today, with Flex 2 and ActionScript 3.0, on
Cairngorm.  As we start to move through the final betas, and into
release of Flex 2.0, a number of us within Adobe Consulting are
absolutely committed and ready to ship the community updated versions of
Cairngorm as required - we're using it on a significant number of our
own Flex 2.0 projects here, and are a step ahead of the public beta
programs that you have access to.

There's a huge number of people on the flexcoders list successfully
using Cairngorm; so once you have more specific questions, I'm sure
we'll be able to help you in your application development.

Good luck !

Best,

Steven

--
Steven Webster
Practice Director (Rich Internet Applications)