Imagine a world where desktop applications and Web applications look and feel the same AND work together seamlessly, then you are on a path that might lead to success. Microsoft is working on doing exactly this - it is just taking them years to deliver on it. AJAX is a place holder because people are bored with the Web the way it currently works. In the delay is Adobe's opportunity and in the boredom is Adobe's challenge.

Flex will not be differentiated in the marketplace by building exclusively Web applications that are not much better/different than what you can easily do with Java - especially in light of Google's most recent announcement (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/).

The "killer apps" for Flex will be the ones that don't look and feel any different than people are used to - but do mix graphics, multimedia, drag-and-drop, etc. with all the traditional UI components in ways that are nearly impossible for AJAX to do without lots of customization. As strange as it may sound, one technique would be to use a fixed set of style guidelines - say ones that replicate the Windows look and feel - so that people would be drawn to the interface they know, know how to use, and prefer (vs. HTML) - even while giving the developers behind the scenes a much richer set of tools for implementation.

Right now, people see the AJAX-enabled Web application that they recognize as HTML - and then they see a Flex application that looks a little unfamiliar. Let's make it real simple. The AJAX bridge is half of that equation - now give us the set of style settings that are indistinguishable from the Windows equivalent. If people have to choose between a Windows-equivalent application and an HTML one, the choice will be simple. The technology, to the user, is irrelevant.

Next, give us applications that work seamlessly between the desktop and the Web. I want interoperability (drag-and-drop and who knows what else) between my Flex-based Web application and my Flex-based desktop applications. I know, SECURITY. Get over it. It's going to happen, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF WHO GETS THERE FIRST. Adobe has all the tools to make this work and really only lacks a loud and cohesive strategy to make it happen. Given that the competition is Microsoft and Google, Adobe really needs a running head start if they want to win.

As for garnering public attention, make a really simple and FREE tool that combines, say, Breeze-like collaboration features with a small but extensible suite of Flex applications that do MS Office-like things. Call it a Beta and let it out with the viral marketing approach of Gmail.

-Mark