My wife works in education and her school subscribes to a remote service
that supplies web based information via the internet. When it works they
love it but it's gotten a pretty awful nickname for the times it doesn't or
is just plain slow.

The important point here is that it's a good application, supplied from a
remote server, but seen as unreliable either due to internet connectivity
problems or speed.

Forgetting the speed problem (there's usually ways to sort that out), I
wondered how people are using Flex as a remotely served application. Are
there good strategies to mitigate connection problems and how do companies
react to the idea of remotely served applications that are
important/critical to the business?

Is the critical desktop application where Flex cannot go (except perhaps by
in-house intranet)?

Paul