----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Junk E-Mail - MED] [flexcoders] A general Flex application deployment question..

On 7/23/06, Shannon Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Flex, in it's present form, does not handle connectivity issues well.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. I have no problem "connecting" to flash/flex apps. Of course if the internet connection is down then things wont work, but that's not a flex issue.

But it is an issue for a Flex application, as opposed to a desktop one.

While it's possible to do, Flex can't save anything to the user's local hard drive, so "saved" information is only saved while the browser window is open.

Actually, flash has local sharedObjects that allow an application to save data locally.

Maybe some clever Flash guru can make me eat my words :)

However, if I understand correctly, Adobe's upcoming technology, Apollo, will allow for this sort of thing (a flex-built desktop app with limited / occasional connections to the server).

I'm not sure he was concerned about occasional connections to the server. He simply said remotely served application.

LOL, well HE (ie me)  wasn't just thinking in terms of just serving the application, they still need to talk back to base to get and update data.

I think we're all reasonably aware of what the technology can do. What I was particularly intersted in any experiences of actually selling/building/deploying a Flex app in places where a traditional desktop environment has been. Was there resistance to the idea? Were people concerned about vulnerability of net connections and did you do anything to mitigate those fears/put in place a standby?

Paul

Shan