OK, just needed the right terms to search on. Found this in the help:

import flash.display.Sprite;
import flash.events.MouseEvent;

var container:Sprite = new Sprite();
container.name = "container";

var circle:Sprite = new Sprite();
circle.name = "circle";
circle.graphics.beginFill(0xFFCC00);
circle.graphics.drawCircle(40, 40, 40);

container.addChild(circle);

container.mouseChildren = false;

container.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clicked);

function clicked(event:MouseEvent):void {
    trace(event.target.name); // container
}

Then, it states to add the container to the DisplayObject. This is
where I get confused. What is the base container class for the
DisplayList and how do I attach it? I don't think I need a movie clip
becuase it says it basically is a sprite with a timeline.

Rich

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7EuRwD/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM