Darren,

Flex inherits the HTTP session that the page which contained the EMBED
tag acquired.  Dont forget that HTTP/HTML is entirely stateless and
yet we can easily secure those.  The theory is identical with Flex.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Houle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Franck,
>
> I agree with you, but... how do you handle security in a stateless
back-end?
>   I mean... how do you maintain logged-in / user session
information?  Or
> unauthorized access of the web services by others?  If Flex is
*completely*
> agnostic of the back-end technology then how do you securely link them
> together?
>
> Darren
>

> >From: "Franck de Bruijn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
> >Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Re: Choice of backend systems - which
provides
> >best functionality
> >Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:03:24 +0200
> >
> >Hi Barry,
> >

> >I'm not sure if I can be of much help here. I'm not into PHP, I'm
not into
> >FDS and remoting and the AMF protocol that is related to it. For
me, but
> >that is totally a personal opinion, the only acceptable solution for
> >communication with a back-end is webservices, and nothing else.
Briefly
> >here
> >are my reasons:
> >
> >*    The coolest thing about Flex is not the graphics ... but that you
> >can make your server stateless, meaning that you obtain 100% fail-over
> >characteristics including linear scalability. With FDS (or any other
> >related
> >solution) you highly likely lose this `feature' and my guess is that
> >scalability will be tougher to achieve; for sure it is harder to
guarantee
> >... with a stateless server solution you can. And we always want to
grow
> >with our applications, don't we???
> >*    I like to keep my Flex layer totally independent of my back-end
> >layer. My back-end layer should not be aware by any means of the client
> >technology. With webservices you realize this. With FDS (or any other
> >related solution) you get a vendor lock-in, which I consider
undesirable.
> >*    The trend in my business is that more and more you get projects only
> >for a front-end or back-end solution. In the past it occurred more
that you
> >had to build them together, but that is changing. It's very
acceptable to
> >request a back-end to expose its operations through webservices.
It's not
> >very accetable to request them to expose it via FDS or something
like that.

> >To be fair, there are some disadvantages using web services as
well; among
> >others:
> >
> >*    No automatic conversion of the web service results into your custom
> >action script classes. You have to make converters yourself to
accomplish
> >this. With FDS/AMF I understand you can have this conversion
automatically
> >done for you.
> >*    Performance. People tend to say that webservices are slow. It's true
> >that the serialization/deserialization of the XML (both on client and
> >server) side takes computing time. My experiences so far are that this
> >extra
> >computing time is not causing any serious damage in the user
experience.
> >*    Flex has some trouble communicating with DOC/Literal encoded
> >webservices. Especially in the .Net corner this is causing
problems. But
> >that should be temporarily ... The adobe guys are working on it and
> >hopefully in a next release these issues will be fixed.
> >

> >For me the advantages of webservices by far outweigh the
disadvantages. So

<http://fluorine.thesilentgroup.com/fluorine/index.html>