I agree Paul for the most part but at the same time I have two theories on
it.

1. It's the little dogs that bark the loudest. The big dogs don't have to.
If Adobe / Macromedia team is confident in their work then word of mouth
will spread it. It will get a reputation by virtue of its value.

2. The campaigns they've launched, labs.adobe.com, dev center, support
groups, developer relations, component developer relations, etc are all
actions that say they are laying the groundwork and foundation for things to
come. I would say they are building the Flex ecosystem among the current
Flash / Flex / ColdFusion developer community before inviting those that are
not already part of it.

And then I disagree with my point number one. The web is very large. Getting
the word out there for people to know that it exists is important. Many do
not know about it. So marketing is important. But I do not like some tactics
in Marketing. In most marketing they are sleazy and deceptive. Advertisers
promote something that in reality what it is not. So they may be waiting for
a time when they think it is ready and matured to a point they want to then
go for it. If it was me, when I thought it was ready, I would aim at making
Flex known and what it does for you without glamorization.

But as Tariq said, if no one knows about it they do not feel safe adopting
it. The only way I've got my Flex app in the door is because I knew the
project manager. He had never heard of Flex. If Flex was mentioned in Java
Developers journal magazines he would know about it. Everyone was expecting
me to do AJAX. They thought that was "hot s**t". :P

They didnt know that Flex / Flash had any sort of capabilites similar to
ajax.

@Matt Chotin -

So where do they hear about other technologies?  Are they reading certain
publications?  Blogs?  When they talk about other technologies do they
actually know what they're talking about or is it just repeating the buzz?

Other developers at work hear about technology through Java Conferences,
magazines (JDJ), word of mouth, blogs. The project managers and his boss'
conception of Flash was flashy animation and games.

Friends who are not programmers know all about ajax from digg and tech
feeds. One friend was all stoked about ajax and web 2.0 and crap like that
and I had to explain it all to him. Those outside of the industry are mostly
repeating the buzz.

Now, once you get their attention with marketing and buzz words and ability
you have one more hurdle to overcome before adoption. The entry point is
rather steep as well. For all it can do it's definately worth it but, it
still remains out of the reach of many. Flex Elements may help an early
adoption rate especially to cross over developers from Java, HTML, AJAX, who
are wary of such a huge investment. Sorry to get off the marketing topic but
I believe it is related. Either that or give many of the popular tech blogs
a promotion code to put on their site for Flex Builder for 100% off or
something.