I'm not sure what e4x is.  Here is my webservice declaration.  It
returns a query from a ColdFusion web service (Flex=ArrayCollection, I
think).

<mx:WebService id="get_home_list"
    wsdl="http://imd9.state.or.us/ex/bcd/loisflex/lois.cfc?WSDL";
    useProxy="false" showBusyCursor="true" >
        <mx:operation name="qry_get_home_list">
            <mx:request>
                <q_home_id>0</q_home_id>
            </mx:request>