Flex has explicit support built in for web service communications. Web
service responses are XML. There are many tutorials.

Flex can handle very large XML files (easily 2-5mb in our tests).

We opted to go for the binary XML route to make the bandwidth needs
far lower. We use zlib compression (built into flex) which is
extremely fast.

HTH,
Benjamin