Hi Doug.  It definitely can be done, without too much difficultly,
although the charts don't support interactive modelling out of the box.
When writing a typical drag/move interface for a UI, you usually do
something like this:

- add a mouseDown handler to something.
- on mouseDown...
    - add a mouseMove/mouseUp handler to the systemManager (on capture).
    - record the thing that was clicked on
    - record the thing's starting point
    - record the mouse's starting point.
- on mouseMove (of the systemManager listener)
    - figure out the delta between the mouse position, and the starting
mouse position
    - add that to the thing's starting position
    - slam that into the thing's new position.
    - stop processing on the mouseMove (so it doesn't go to other
components by accident).
- on mouseUp
    - do the same stuff as mouseMove
    - remove your event listeners from the system Manager

For a chart item, the process is basically the same, except you're
working in data values. That means...
    - you've already got the thing's starting coordinates, which are the
values in the dataProvider that are being charted.
    - you should record your mouse position in data coordinates, using
the chart's localToData() function.
    - in your mouseMove, when you calculate the difference between the
starting mouse (data coordinates) and updated mouse (data coordinates),
you have to think about what type of axes you have in your chart. For a
linear axis, no problem. But if you want to drag left/right between
categories, you probably can't calculate deltas/additions. On the other
hand, for categories, that's probably not necessary...you just assign
the current category of the mouse (from localToData()) to the item.
    - when you assign the new values back to the item from the
dataprovider (on mousemove), you'll need to let the chart know the data
has been changed.  If you're using collections, there's an API on the
collection to alert lilsteners that something has changed...if you're
using raw Arrays or XML, you'll need to force an update (i.e., try
re-assigning the chart's dataProvider property).

Ely.